- Top 10 Steel Toe Work Boots (New List 2020)
- 1. Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot
- 2. Skechers for Work Relaxed Fit Work Steel Toe Boot
- 3. Timberland PRO Pit Boss Steel Toe Work Boots
- 4. Keen Utility Leather Steel Toe Work Boots
- 5. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Safety Toe Boot
- 6. EVER BOOTS Soft Toe Leather Work Boots
- 7. Irish Setter Steel Toe Work Boot
- 8. Timberland PRO Work Boot
- 9. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Safety Toe Boot
- 10. Servus Comfort Technology Steel Toe Work Boots
- Types of Safety Toe Work Boots
- Benefits Of Having The Steel Toe Work Boots
- Tips On How To Choose Your Safety Work Boots
- Features to Look For
- Best Steel Toe Work Boots Comparison Chart
- Wrap up
Can you imagine the feeling you get when you accidentally drop something on your foot? Probably one of the worst scenarios in the world especially if we talk about your pinky toe, right? And let’s not start with how dangerous it could be if something huge falls on your foot. That is why it is imperative to wear the best steel toe work boots while doing your job.
Work boots, as their name hints, are created to give you a certain state of physical ease and peace of mind because as you wear them during work, your feet are safe from unpredictable situations. There are different types and it is essential that you choose the best safety toe boots for you.
Our team wants to help you overcome any challenges that the worksite could throw at you and that is why we have created a special buying guide in which we want to show you the most reliable boots on the market right now.
Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot
||View On Amazon|
Skechers for Work Relaxed Fit Work Steel Toe Boot
||View On Amazon|
Timberland PRO Pit Boss Steel Toe Work Boots
||View On Amazon|
Keen Utility Leather Steel Toe Work Boots
||View On Amazon|
Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Safety Toe Boot
||View On Amazon|
Top 10 Steel Toe Work Boots (New List 2020)
Without any further ado, let’s start the article by introducing the ten finest products on the market nowadays. Without hesitation, we can say that the title “best work boots for 2018” fits them perfectly. They will give you such a tranquil time when you work. Keep in mind that they are not arranged in any particular order and it is up to you to decide which one suits your needs the most.
1. Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot
Now, we know that you are looking for safety, durability, etc. but there is just no way that we don’t mention how fashionable these shoes are. They are made of 100% leather and if that is not good enough they have Goodyear welt construction. With these Caterpillar Men’s Steel Toe Work Boots, you can be completely calm for your safety as they offer you an ASTM-compliant steel toe. A special Climasphere insole will keep your feet fresh and cool while the slip-resistant outsole will make sure that you are stable no matter what the environment is. The product dimensions are 5 x 5 x 0.7 inches and you can be sure that you will have the perfect combination of flexibility and comfort. It doesn’t matter if you are a mountaineer or a construction worker, these Caterpillar Steel Toe Work Boots will keep you safe and you will be happy that you have made the right choice.
2. Skechers for Work Relaxed Fit Work Steel Toe Boot
Are you tired of shoes that make you feel uncomfortable and unsafe at the worksite? We got you! The SKECHERS Work Relaxed Fit® – Workshire ST boots are made of smooth full-grain leather that is not only good for your feet but is also extremely modern. These boots have stitching and overlay accents which make them even cooler. But still, we are here because we want safety, right? Well, they definitely provide it. Along with the steel toe, they offer you oil-resistant rubber outsole. And guess what, the insole is made of memory foam. The only disadvantage is that the memory foam is only on the heel, but still, isn’t that great? The shaft measures are around 5.25″ from the arch and the heel measures are approximately 1.5”. They are really durable so we can calmly say they are worth it!
3. Timberland PRO Pit Boss Steel Toe Work Boots
Timberland, Timberland, Timberland… what else can we say?! Perfect craftsmanship, durability, and protection are just some of the things these shoes have to offer. They are also 100% Leather and pretty much everything that a great protective work boot should be. These shoes meet ANSI safety standards and will keep you comfortable and safe all day. They offer you slip-, oil- and abrasion-resistant outsoles so there is no way that you get hurt. And the padded top collars are the cream of the crop. You can, without any problem, wear them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Timberland Pro Men’s 6” Steel Toe Boots offer a roomier toe box than most of the other boots. They may feel a little heavy at the first but that would probably be because you have not had such boots before. And last but not least, they feature electronic hazard protection that will keep you safe from open circuits.
4. Keen Utility Leather Steel Toe Work Boots
The rubber sole of these steel toe work boots is just one of the many good characteristics they have. The asymmetrical steel safety toe is specially designed to give you the maximum comfort you are seeking. The roomier toe box will allow you to move freely and at the same time feel safe. These Keen Utility steel toe work boots meet ASTM F2412-17 and F2413-17 I/75 and C/75 standards so they are suitable for pretty much every job. The KEEN patented toe protection makes this product even nicer. The oil- and slip-resistant non-marking outsoles of the boots wrap up and over the toes and by that give you the maximum protection. If you work long shifts and your job requires that you stay on your feet for a long period, these boots would be a good choice for they have heel cushion and stability shank.
5. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Safety Toe Boot
Let’s say you are an electrician or your job is somehow connected to electricity, well, these Thorogood safety toe boots are your salvation. They are manufactured with electric shock-resistant soles and heels. And the best part – they can withstand up to 18 000 volts at 60 Hz for 1 minute. But don’t let the fact that they are great at safety cloud your judgment – they are also really fashionable. You can wear them not only at work but also outside of your job site. Pretty cool, huh! The dual-density 90-degree outsole will help you feel comfortable everywhere you go. These Thorogood boots are made in the USA and are one hundred percent leather. The fiberglass shank and the poron insoles will make you feel as you are stepping on a cloud. The shaft measures of the boots are around 6.25” from the arch. They have a rubber sole that also guarantees durability.
EVER BOOTS Soft Toe Leather Work Boots
||View On Amazon|
Irish Setter Steel Toe Work Boot
||View On Amazon|
Timberland PRO Work Boot
||View On Amazon|
Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Safety Toe Boot
||View On Amazon|
Servus Comfort Technology Steel Toe Work Boots
||View On Amazon|
6. EVER BOOTS Soft Toe Leather Work Boots
The premium 2.0MM Nubuck leather that these “TANK” boots are designed with is just one of the things that make them fashionable, super safe, comfortable and of course, durable. Your feet will surely be warm and dry because of the insulated mesh lining each boot has. Even on the longest days that make you feel like they would never end, you will feel comfort and protection. These shoes are designed with Goodyear welt and they are also anti-fatigue. A steel shank supports the arch of the boot so the climbing of stairs and ladders will be a children’s game. And even if your work is connected with slippery and uneven surfaces, there is no place for worrying for these boots to offer dependable traction. Long-lasting support is provided by the rubber soles the boots have and the durability of the shoes is guaranteed because of the oil-resistant qualities they possess.
7. Irish Setter Steel Toe Work Boot
Your favorite color is brown and you are looking for a steel toe work boot that will guarantee your comfort and safety while doing even the hardest and the most dangerous job?! If that is true, then you can stop looking and check out these awesome Irish Setter Steel Toe Work Boots. Irish Setter is one of the premier boot brands for generations of hunters and workers that are looking for the best quality they can find. These boots are one hundred percent made of leather and have removable polyurethane footbed. This 6-inch lace-up work boot with steel toe is designed to protect you from electrical hazards and any falling object that may be of any danger to you at your workplace. It has a platform that is about 1 inch high and the shaft measures around 6” from the arch. The boots meet ASTM F2413-11, I/75C/75 safety standards so that you can feel protected wherever you go and whatever you do.
8. Timberland PRO Work Boot
The first authentic, waterproof leather boot of the Timberland brand was introduced to the world in the distant 1973. So just think about how many new and better things their new designs have to offer. These pro men’s Boondock work boots are one hundred percent leather and have a synthetic sole. And we don’t even have to mention the super cool look they have. These boots have Goodyear Welt/Cement Heel construction and you have options in the insulations – 200g/400g/600g and 1000g. The outsoles of these boots are slip, oil, and abrasion-resistant, and if there is something that still makes you not like them, these shoes are also available in safety and soft toe options.
9. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Safety Toe Boot
You are a strong, hard-working person. Well, you definitely need strong, good looking shoes to match our identity. These Thorogood safety toe boots have the capacity to withstand an application of 18,000 volts (root mean square (RMS) value) at 60 Hz for 1 minute. Their soles and heels are shock-resistant so even if your job is dangerous and unpredictable, these will save the day. They are manufactured in the USA and have a steel toe that will keep your foot safe and sound. But don’t get confused here, they are also incredibly fashionable. The stylish, tobacco oil-tanned leather will give the impression that “fashion” is your second name and at the same time will allow your feet to breathe. With these safety toe work boots, you get a secure lacing system, bold contrast stitching and they even come available in Non-Steel toe version if that’s what you want.
10. Servus Comfort Technology Steel Toe Work Boots
Now, these steel toe work boots are a bit different from the other ones. They are injection molded polyblend PVC boots and no such thing as bad weather can get in their way. They are 100% waterproof and the deep angle cleated outsole guarantees that you won’t slip or fall on even the most slippery surfaces. These boots will protect you from mud, rain, degradation from agricultural chemicals, fertilizer and so many other things. They may not be fashionable at all, but they definitely are one of the best things on the market when speaking about safety and comfort. These steel toe work boots are seamless and offer a unique top-line that is scalloped for easy flexing. The Track10 outsole will offer you reliable traction. And last but not least, with these boots you get arch and heel support and also a lightweight cushion insole that is removable, can be washed and the best part – it can even be replaced.
Types of Safety Toe Work Boots
When speaking about work, we all know that safety comes first. This is why safety toe boots are created. Depending on the kind of work you do, there are different types of work boots and you ought to become familiar with them so check out our list. For example, if you work as a choker setter in logging, your job requires standing on your feet for a longer period and that’s why you would probably prefer lightweight shoes. And if you work as a mechanic you would probably choose the heavy boots because you don’t want a heavy detail to fall on your feet. So let’s look at some of the types of work boots and their characteristics.
· Steel Toe Work Boots
Those are the most common type of safety toe work boots as they are the classic option. If you are on a budget but safety is of great importance to you then this is your type. They are not expensive at all, you can easily find them everywhere and they offer great protection in dangerous work environments. Falling objects and heavy machinery would not be a problem for you because the steel gives you really good protection according to the tests made by the American National Standards Institute. So, if you are a worker at a construction site, for example, we would surely recommend you buy yourself some steel toe work boots.
- They are less expensive than the other types.
- They offer maximum protection.
- They are made from heavy-duty steel, therefore they are really heavy and sometimes uncomfortable.
· Alloy Toe Capped Safety Shoes
This is a great alternative to steel and if you have tried wearing a steel toe work boot, that’s probably exactly what you would be looking for right now – an alternative. Well, we have some good news for you. The alloy material works pretty much the same way as the steel one with the huge difference that it is between 30-50% lighter and thinner. This is some great news for your feet because they will have more room to move in the toe box which is not exactly the case with the steel toe work boots. Don’t be worried, though, the fact that the alloy toe-capped safety shoes are lighter and thinner does not mean that they will not offer great protection. Unfortunately, you should prepare some more cash if you have chosen this type of boots. At the end of the day, we get what we pay for, so if you want comfort and safety you have to be ready to spend a little extra money.
- They are considerably lighter than steel.
- They are thinner than steel so your toe box will be wider.
- They are a bit more expensive.
· Composite Toe Capped Safety Shoes
Now, this type of work boot is really interesting and a bit different. Up until now, we talked about metal and how it can protect you but the composite toe-capped safety shoes are actually a non-metal option. They are made from Kevlar, plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber and are the perfect choice if you are looking for freedom of movement. If you need a lighter boot, this is perfect as it is something between a steel toe work boot and a boot with no protection at all. And, of course, since this is a “middle ground” boot, it is normal that it does not offer the same amount of protection as the other two options.
These types of shoes pass most work boots safety standards but they are still not suitable for tough work sites or some other dangerous job. That is why you should always consider the type of work you are doing when buying equipment, especially when we speak about something so important as safety work boots. The greatest thing with these shoes, however, is something that you won’t be able to find with alloy and steel ones. They are perfect for extreme temperatures. That means that if the weather is too hot it won’t be a problem for you because they won’t heat up. And the opposite, if the weather is really cold these shoes would not cool down – something that metal toe work boots would do. So if you work in an environment that is exposed to varying temperatures but has no debris that could fall on your feet, those are a good choice.
- They are perfect for challenging temperatures / extremely low or high temperatures/.
- They are lighter than steel toes.
- You will feel more comfortable.
- The damage they can sustain is lower than steel or alloy toe work boots.
- They can easily shatter or crack if something really heavy falls on them (that is not the case with alloy and steel ones).
· Soft Toe Work Boots
Since the first-ever safety toe work shoe was created things have changed drastically. Work boots have evolved and the work environment is a lot safer than it used to be. Rules, laws, regulations and tech progress are the reasons for the decrease in the number of accidents and injuries happening in the workplace.
That is probably the main reason that drives workers, to choose soft toe work boots. This type of boots is also known as non-protective for it does not come with heavy steel or composite toe caps. You would think that they are of no use to you but the truth is they offer so much more than that. Of course, if your job requires steel toe work boots this is not your product. But if it is mobility that you are looking for, you should give these shoes a try. They are super light and are designed for all-day comfort. Some of their characteristics could be slip-resistance or water impermeability. Everyone loves some good old work boots so check them out. The better traction on all kinds of surfaces such as mud and wood is guaranteed. And let’s not forget that most of the soft toe work boots have electrical hazard protection which is also something most workers are looking for.
- They offer great comfort.
- Better traction on different types of surfaces.
- Electrical Hazard protection
- They are slip-resistant
- They look fashionable.
- The protection they offer from heavy machinery falling on your feet is close to zero.
Benefits Of Having The Steel Toe Work Boots
As we already said, steel toe work boots could be a little heavy and that could cause some troubles. Because of that and some more affirmations, there once was a popular myth that if something falls on your feet, the steel toe boots could actually harm your toes. This allegation, though, was proved to be wrong. Have you heard about the famous TV show “MythBusters”? Well, they put this theory to the test and actually proved how wrong it is. They made a lot of experiments and in every one of them, the steel toe boots protected the foot the way it should. We are not saying that there are not some disadvantages when we talk about steel toe work boots but we dare to claim that they are the safest choice for you.
Here are some of the benefits that the steel toe work boots could offer:
- This type of shoes is extremely safe. They can withstand an impact with a falling object that weighs up to 75 pounds.
- It is believed that they are not comfortable, and that could be true, but that does not mean that it is completely impossible to feel good while wearing them. There are some pairs that are not only safe but also comfortable. Besides, there are special socks designed especially for steel toe work boots so this cannot be an excuse – go and get yourself some boots.
- Despite the common belief that they are not at all fashionable we could calmly say that there are steel toe work boots that look modern and if you are interested in that and it is important to you then don’t need to worry.
- The injuries that you could prevent by wearing steel toe work boots are so many, falling objects is just one of the situations you can get yourself into. These shoes will keep you safe when it comes to punctures, burns, slips, trips, fatigue or even cutting hazards.
Tips On How To Choose Your Safety Work Boots
First and foremost, you need to know your job requirements and personal needs related to the job. That is why we have created this guide. Read the information we have gathered for the different types of safety shoes and then decide which one is perfect for you.
If you already have done that and have decided that you want to find the steel toe boot for your needs here are some tips our team has to offer.
- Feet swell throughout the whole day. If your work requires you to stand on your feet for a long time, this process is even worse. So, what we can suggest is to shop for steel toe work boots at the end of the day, after your feet are at their largest. This way, even on the longest and hardest days you will feel good in your shoes and you will be happy that you have found yourself the most comfortable steel toe boots for standing all day.
- As we said there are special socks created for steel toe work boots. Get some and when going shoe shopping, bring them with you and try the shoes while wearing them. If you have decided that normal socks will do the job for you, this advice is still applicable.
- Don’t think just about safety. Of course, this is the most important thing but there are other features that you should consider- anti-microbial insoles, additional padding, etc. If your job is connected with extreme weather you would like to find the best waterproof work boots, for example.
- Know your body. If you tend to sweat a lot, we recommend you to look for the best work boots for sweaty feet.
- And this one is for after you have bought the perfect pair of shoes. – Take care of your personal belongings if you want them to have a longer “life”. If you have leather boots, you can easily learn how to clean leather shoes and boots at home. Mink oil, for example, is something you could use on leather. And in order to reduce odor, you need to store your boots in a dry and clean place.
Features to Look For
While the most important feature of a steel toe boot is obviously the enforcement upfront, there are some other characteristics worth mentioning. The bottom line is to get a boot that gives you not only protection but also improves your posture, health, and comfort. So here we go – check out some of the possible additional features that a steel toe boot might have.
Resistant Sole and Heel
If you need protection up top, you likely need to have the bottom part of your foot protected as well. In that sense, the sole really matters. It may be made of rubber or caoutchouc and will definitely give you more security.
Look for a boot that also has a flexible sole. Any work boot has to also give you convenience and ease of movement. If there’s something heavy that might fall on your toes, there might be something sharp to step on. Don’t make any compromises with the sole of your pair because this is typically the first part to hit the road.
As far as the heel goes, there are plenty of options there as well. Some boots have an extra enhancement in the heel in the form of rubber, plastic or even steel. You simply don’t want to go for the heaviest one.
The height of the boot determines this to some extent. The higher the boot, the better the support. On the downside, you will need to battle with more and longer laces. These boots are good for people who are required to make agile movements (maybe zoo workers).
What’s not great about shoes with big ankle support is the fact that in the long term this might damage the ankle joint. Because of the constant support, the ankle might become “spoilt” and the joint may become softer.
Electrical Surge Protection
Having this feature is a good thing because you never know when you might find yourself in a situation where there’s electricity around. It doesn’t have to be related to your job. Many times, people do domestic projects and this may include working with wires.
Rubber is typically the material of choice in that case. Of course, wood will also do well against electricity but it is obviously not used to make boots nowadays. If you got heavy objects falling around you and you need to stay grounded, then look for the electrical surge protection feature when getting your steel toe boots.
Nowadays boots are made of a variety of materials but work boots in particular often come with leather or rubber bodies. This is needed because those materials offer better protection throughout the day. There are also canvas boots but they are for people who move plenty and who do not require a lot of food safety.
The other way to classify boots is to look at whether they have laces or not. Pull-on boots are the ones with an elastic ribbing which allows you to just put them on and off with one quick action. Work boots with laces, however, provide more ankle support and will definitely fit your foot better.
Waterproofing and Insulation
Pretty much one of the most functional characteristics a work boot may have. This is a universal trait and if it is present in your current pair of boots, just hold on to them. Needless to say, the material used for these is typically rubber.
The insulation also plays a role as it will keep your feet warm and dry at the same time. Such boots are excellent for hunting because you will be fine regardless of conditions. The only thing that has to worry you is the integrity of the shoe. Make sure you get quality boots so that they do not tear or break on you.
While weight matters, it really isn’t the most important factor for your steel toe boots. After all, we suppose that since you work in a relatively dangerous environment, you will be fine with some heavier boots.
Of course, it is always better if your perfectly dependable boot is also lightweight but this is rarely the case. Most people are okay with the trade-off and they get heavier but sturdy boots for their daily activities.
It is pointless to even discuss this feature in particular mainly because you will get nowhere without good durability. You simply cannot buy a steel toe work boot which will break down on you the first chance it gets.
The material undoubtedly contributes to the level of durability that your pair has. That doesn’t mean that canvas boots are bad but the leather will definitely give you more stability. Rubber is nice but the flexibility there is pretty limited.
This feature was left for last on purpose. It is highly important and must never be overlooked when picking a work boot. Comfort is linked to a number of things and some of them are healthcare, productivity, and effectiveness.
You cannot make any compromises when it comes to your feet especially if you have a physical job. Your bones and joints need to be taken care of and the quality of your boot will determine all that. Many shoes have specific curves or orthopedic insoles. Some will help you if you have flat feet or even plantar fasciitis. Comfort is not a luxury feature, it is a necessity to make sure you love the feeling of your boots once you put them on.
- Which type of safety toe work shoe provides the best protection? – Well, this question is relative. It depends on the type of work you do. If your swing chainsaws all day you would like to have steel toe work boots, but if you are a mountaineer you would look for something less heavy.
- Is there a difference between a steel toe and a composite toe boot? – Yes. The first one has a steel cap on the toe, while the second uses non-metal materials. There also are a lot of differences in the benefits the two types offer.
- Is leather suitable for safety boots? – If we are not talking about extremely cold weather (because In that case, you will probably need some of the warmest hunting boots), then yes, it is.
- Are steel toe work boots dangerous? – This is a myth that was proven to be wrong! So, don’t worry they are safe.
- Are there safety boots that are created for other parts of the foot? – Yes, there are a lot of shoes for every work occasion.
- Are there stylish safety work boots? – You would be surprised. There are some shoes that look so good you could never tell they actually are work shoes.
- What is the strongest outsole construction? – You can be one hundred percent sure that it is the cement one. With this type, an adhesive is used to bond the outsole to the leather upper. Of course, there are different types of outsole construction – Goodyear welt, direct attach, etc.
- Which outsole construction is the most durable? – It depends, of course, on how you take care of your boots but it is believed that the Goodyear welt is the most durable one.
- Are there different heights of work boots? – The heights for work boots that are most common are 6- and 8-inch. They pretty much always come with lace-up systems.
- What is the best type of lacing system? – There are so many and each one of them has its own benefits. From traditional eyelets to metal hooks, it’s not like you don’t have a choice. But no one can tell you for sure which type is the best. This, you have to decide for yourself.
Best Steel Toe Work Boots Comparison Chart
|Caterpillar Men's Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot||$$$||Leather||Rubber||6”|
|Skechers for Work Men's Workshire Relaxed Fit Work Steel Toe Boot||$$||Leather||Rubber||5.25"|
|Timberland PRO Men's 6" Pit Boss Steel Toe||$$$||Leather||Rubber||5.5"|
|Keen Utility - Men's Braddock All Leather Mid Waterproof (Steel Toe) Work Boots||$$$$||Leather||Rubber||4.75"|
|Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Classic Plain Toe, Safety Toe Boot||$$$$$||Leather||Rubber||6.25"|
|EVER BOOTS "Tank Men's Soft Toe Oil Full Grain Leather Insulated Work Boots||$$||Leather||Rubber||7”|
|Irish Setter Men's Ely 83608 6" Steel Toe Work Boot||$$$||Leather||Synthetic||6"|
|Timberland PRO Men's Boondock 6" Waterproof Non-Insulated Work Boot||$$$$||Leather||Synthetic||6.5"|
|Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Moc Toe, MAXwear Wedge Safety Toe Boot||$$$$||Leather||Polyurethane MAXwear Wedge Sole||6.5"|
|Servus Comfort Technology 14" PVC Steel Toe Men's Work Boots||$||Polyblend PVC||Trac10 design||14"|
Congratulations! You have made it till the end of our buying guide to getting the best steel toe work boots. We sincerely hope that our buying guide will be of help for you in the journey of finding the best safety toe boots for we know how important this quest is.
In case what you just read appealed to you don’t forget to share this piece with others. This way they will also be able to know how essential it is to find good work boots. And of course, if there is anything you would like to share with us or ask us just leave a comment or pop us an email.
We have different articles connected with how to be safe in the workplace. So if you have time and desire why don’t you check some of them out and tell us what you think. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!